horses and ponies are amongst the most attractive and eye catching equines of all. With their glorious array of colours, many
with striking iridescence and starkly contrasting manes & tails,
out in any crowd.
Welcome to All About Dilute Horses And Ponies.
If you’re here I’m guessing it’s because, like me, you have an interest in beautiful horses and ponies.
You’re in great company then because ….
....this site is for owners, lovers, breeders and fanciers of dilute horses and ponies everywhere. The site is also dedicated to the memory of a very special palomino mare who catapulted me firmly into the world of dilutes.
If You .....
- Need advice or
information about dilute horses and ponies...you’re
sure to find it here but if not just ask and someone will almost certainly have an answer or some
helpful tips and hints for you.
- Like looking at
pictures of beautiful dilute horses and ponies….check out the photo brags in
each of the sections
- Want to show off your
dilute horse or pony….plenty of opportunity to do just that or if you want to brag about how well your dilute horse or pony is doing out there in whatever it is you do with him or her .... we have that covered too with our Brag pages.
- Like to pass on the
tips and tricks that have helped you get the most out of whatever you do
with your dilute horse or pony …. handy hints and timely tips is the place for you.
- Want information about dilute horse and pony registers .... contact details where known can be found on the relevant dilution pages.
- Want to buy something that is specifically dilute related .... you need to check out the Gift Shop
- Would like to promote your stud or stallion, or simply read about everyone else's studs and stallions, take a browse through the Studs And Stallions section.
Feel free to add your website link OR even start your own page so you can share your wonderful dilute horse or pony with the rest of us dilute horse and pony nuts!
What is a dilute horse or pony?
simply - a dilute horse or pony carries an inheritable genetic
mutation in their DNA which dilutes the pigment in their coat and/or skin in
some way. It is a mutation because it
alters the ‘normal’ sequence of genetic events.
when it comes to horse coat / hair colour genetics is for a horse to be either
red or black. Which they are when it
comes right down to it BUT at some point in equine evolution a tiny mutation
occurred somewhere in the DNA of some individuals which altered their pigment
slightly from the ‘norm’.
- In the cream dilute horse or pony a
mutation made the red pigment granules in their hair shafts smaller and
less dense and concentrated it towards the tips of the hair.
- In the dun a mutation
concentrated the pigment granules down one side of the hair shaft which
gives the dun its characteristic ‘muted’ appearance.
What colour are dilute horses and ponies?
buckskin, cremello, perlino, silver, dun, champagne, pearl & mushroom. I have included a page for each of these
dilutions on this site. These pages
contain a very brief explanation of horse coat colour genetics as they relate
to that particular dilution.
Why own a dilute horse or pony?
Good question. I love them because I am a dilute horse nut thanks in no small part to an ornery palomino gelding and a beautiful palomino Australian Stock Horse mare. I think many of us probably got 'into' dilutes by accident - we bred one or acquired one somehow and the more we learnt about them the more addicted we got to them.
What makes dilute horses and ponies so special?
me, I love….
- the iridescence and
the range of shades dilute horses and ponies come in .... from pale cream to rich golden hues.
- the contrast in the
cream dilutes in particular with their spectacular coats and their white
or black points.
- the way they stand out
in a crowd.
- the diversity and depth
of type, breed and quality to be found.
I mean - a QH is a QH right…!
Sure, there are different types of QHs but look at them in a QH
class line up and they’re all around about the same height. They all have similar basic
characteristics and conformation up to a point (well, they’re supposed to
because they’re a BREED) and so on. Look at a dilute class line up on the other hand and you’ll see
everything from tiny miniatures right through to massive warmbloods and
thoroughbred Xs with everything in between.
Meaning …. with dilutes you can pretty much breed whatever breed you
want to with the added bonus of colour.
In my view that makes owning and breeding dilute horses or ponies pretty special indeed.
browse around the site, feel free to ask questions, offer your own advice, post
your own photos, tell your own dilute horse or pony related story …..
forget to sign up for our free monthly E-Zine "Dilute Horse Lovers" and …
And, if you like the site, please share the love around by posting a Like on your facebook page.
- Dilute Horse Lovers Blog
- A blog for dilute horse lovers....
- Dilute Horse Colour genetics - the basics of horse coat colour genetics
- Welcome to the fascinating world of dilute horse colour genetics and horse coat colours.....
- Buckskin Horses and Ponies
- Buckskin horses and ponies - the striking combination of gold coat framed by black points is loved by many dilute enthusiasts.
- Champagne Horses
- Champagne horses have only been officially recognised as a separate dilute for a couple of decades. Previously they were referred to as pink skinned palominos and buckskins and registered as such.
- Cremello Horses And Ponies
- Cremello horses are one half of the double cream dilutes, perlinos being the other. Cremellos are chestnut horses carrying two copies of the cream dilution modifier.
- Dun Horses
- Dun horses may be any colour and carry the dunning dilution gene. With their standout dun factors they are an eye catching member of the dilute horse family.
- Palomino Horses And Ponies
- Palomino horses and palomino ponies are genetic chestnuts (red) that carry one copy of the code responsible for diluting red coat pigment to gold.
- Pearl Horses
- Pearl horses - this fascinating newly recognised dilution gene is a superb addition to the dilute family.
- Perlino Horses
- Perlino horses are the second of the double cream dilutes. They come in a range of shades depending on their base colour
- Silver Horses
- Silver horses and ponies are an eye catching member of the dilute family. Whilst the colour has been seen in many breeds for decades, their acceptance as a 'bona fide' dilute is a lot more recent
- Feeding Horses
- Feeding horses properly isn’t rocket science. There are plenty of horse feeds available that will provide the correct nutrition for whatever it is you do with your horse or pony.
- Showing Dilutes - Handy Hints And Advice On Showing Your Dilute
- Showing dilutes - handy hints and advice for showing a dilute in dilute classes
- Horse Insurance - A Guide
- Horse insurance demystified - a guide to assist you with navigating through all those policies and companies
- Studs And Stallions
- Promote your stallion or stud....
- What's Your Favourite Dilute
- So....what's YOUR favourite dilute?
- Tips And Tricks
- On these pages you'll find all sorts of tips and tricks and handy hints about dilute horses and ponies
- Dilute Photo Brags
- Dilute photo brag pages....
- Dilute Photo Gallery
- Welcome to the Dilute Photo Gallery where you can see even more photos of beautiful dilute horses and ponies as well as upload your own....
- Horse Games
- Horse games galore for kids, for girls or just some fun horse games.... You're sure to find exactly what you want here.
- Horse Gifts
- Horse Gifts - every type of gift for horse lovers.... you're sure to find that special gift here.
- The Horse Gear Shop
- The Horse Gear Shop
- The Book Store
- In the book store you'll find hundreds of great horse books....reference books, fiction, non-fiction, photography.